Textual data and Voyant Tools at ResBaz Perth
The wonderful city of Perth recently held its annual Research Bazaar Conference, which took place at Curtin University from the 2nd – 4th of July.
This year Perth ResBaz experimented with two different parallel streams to cater to new as well as more seasoned learners.
Level 1 training classes included:
- Intro to the command line and Version Control (Git)
- Intro to structured data
- Intro to Docker (Command line experience required)
The Level 2 training classes included:
- Data analysis and visualisation with Python (beginner level)
- Data analysis and visualisation with R (beginner level)
- Data and digital tools in the Humanities and Arts (beginner level)
- Genomics (specialisation, intermediate level)
- Intro to Machine Learning (intermediate to advanced level)
The final session of the conference included a guest presentation by Dr Tyne Sumner on the Tinker studio, Voyant Tools and a range of computational text analysis methods. The attendees experimented with getting text into Voyant:
Participants then completed a range of exercises designed to explore a textual corpus with a range of challenges:
Participants shared their own data sets and experimented with a range of visualisation techniques.
For more on how to visualise your textual data with Voyant tools, head to Open Voyant on the Tinker site!